For years and years, I never said no.
I hate to disappoint people. I’m pretty much a people pleaser, and hate to see people upset. “No” was not really in my vocabulary when I started business.
- Would you do it for this price? YES
- Can you get me all the pictures back in time for this? YES
- Can I squeeze in a session tomorrow? YES – which sometimes I still do but when it works for me.
- Will you edit some vintage, some sepia, some selective color? YES
- Will you whiten my teeth in every 150 pictures? YES
BUT I learned that saying “Yes” to everyone else was saying “No” to my family.
When I was taking 4 sessions a week or working everyday to please my clients, I was saying no to my kids. I was saying no to my family I was saying no to making dinner. I was saying no to cleaning the house.
Because I couldn’t say no,
- I was busy all the time
- I sacrificed things I wanted for things I didn’t want
- People learned they could take advantage of me
- I couldn’t do anything really well because I had too much on my plate
The second I started turning away clients and raising my prices I was able to balance my life as a mother with my life as a business owner in an entirely new way.
We have to say no to the good so you can say YES to the great!
There are a few simple ways to say YES to your family that don’t require the NO word.
1. Specialize in what brings you joy, makes the most income & what you’re best at
2. Raise your prices
3. Schedule family days, work days and shoot days
4. Batch Work
To hear more specific examples on how I learned to say YES and what it looks like in my life, listen to episode 7: Learn to say Yes on Kylee Mentors Moms:
Kylee started Kylee Ann Photography 9 years ago, and has since grown from a one woman amateur show to a full associate team. We shoot 50-75 weddings a year, and thrive on kindness and service. After a year of teaching Intro to Photography at the local technical college, she discovered that helping other entrepreneurs create thriving businesses is what fires her up! She hosts semi-annual Kylee Ann Sleepovers all over the US, speak at conferences and teach online courses about running a small business and marketing.
June 29, 2020