When he was born, I had to make the decision to be a real profitable business or take pictures of my kids for fun. If I was going to spend hours away from him at weddings or editing photos, I needed to turn a profit…or I needed to spend those days with him.
I chose to invest in education, upgrade my equipment and market myself to the masses. And I’m soo thankful I did.
I love photography. And I love running a business, creating marketing plans, building a team and strategizing. Having a business has kept me sane, given me purpose and helped channel my anxiety into passion. Visit this page for some corporate trainings that can be useful for your staff.
I know working isn’t for everyone but personally I’ve learned I’m a better mom when I have something to work on for myself. There is so much happiness in growth.
If you’re at the crossroads between hobby and business, think about the following from the IRS
- Whether you carry on the activity in a businesslike manner
- Whether the time and effort you put into the activity indicate that you intend to make it profitable
- Whether you depend on income from the activity for your livelihood
- Whether your losses are due to circumstances beyond your control, or are normal in the startup phase of your type of business
- Whether you adjust your methods of operation in an attempt to improve profitability
- Whether you (or your advisors) have the knowledge needed to carry on the activity as a successful business
- Whether you were successful in making a profit in similar activities in the past
- Whether the activity makes a profit in some years, and how much profit it makes
- Whether you can expect to make a future profit from the appreciation of the assets used in the activity
If you are ready to take the leap into running a business, remember to stay in your lane. There are enough clients to go around even in the most saturated of markets. Just because everyone is a photographer doesn’t mean you’re less of one! Don’t be afraid to cheer for the photographer next door while you’re going after your dreams.
I’ve taught HUNDREDS of photographers EVERY single system, marketing technique, Lightroom setting, lighting secret, location and pose I have. And here I am.
Photography Business or Hobby
photographer | educator + speaker | community builder
Hi I’m Kylee, and I lead the incredible KA associate photography team based in Northern Utah and help other photographer and creative entrepreneurs create thriving businesses. When I’m not shooting, scheduling, editing, blogging, being the boss etc, you can find me on adventures with my three babies or catching up on last nights tv in yesterday’s clothes. I build my businesses and community from the comfiest spot on my bed.
Kylee Ann Studios is made up of seven incredible women that share a love for serving others, value kindness and ROCK it behind the camera. With a full team of professionals, we are famous for our quick turn around time, bright and creamy edits and being so much more than your photographer. We love to tell stories instead of snapshots. Collectively we photograph 75+ weddings and hundreds of families each year, as well as birth stories, seniors and brands.
I offer instant and affordable online education to help you start, sustain and grow your DREAM business. The OPB Membership is an All-Access Pass to ALL our Photography & Business Classes and Digital Downloads. Includes: Nitty Gritty of Photography, Lightroom Course, Marketing Course, Left Brain Photography Business Course, Lightroom Presets for Desktop and Mobile, In Person Sales Course AND MORE!
Come hang out with us in our FREE Online Community, Our Photog Blog!